Newport Academy offers many
interventions and supports which are invidualized to meet student needs and promote positive behavior.
- Our school-wide positive behavior system teaches students appropriate behavioral expectations and rewards student progress. Our students know it as STARR: Safe Students Teach All Respect and Responsibility. (Tier 2 & 3 students can be identified within this system and provided with more intensive programming)
An individualized Behavior Intervention Plan is developed and implemented for each student. It is based on a functional assessment of behavior with input from the student, guardian, and instructional staff. Behavior plans focus on identifying and avoiding triggers, teaching students appropriate replacement skills and coping techniques, and reinforcing desired behaviors.
Our Behavior Specialists provide support services for classroom staff and students through classroom observation, collaboration, and participation in the development of individualized Behavior Intervention Plans. They also support students directly by building rapport, evaluating individual needs, establishing goals, and monitoring progress. Our Behavior Specialists hold Master’s Degrees, are Special Education Licensed by the Virginia Department of Education, and are Board Certified Behavior Analysts or in the process of completing requirements for Board Certification.
Teachers communicate daily with parents/guardians using a Daily Behavior Communication Form.
Our Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) has met rigorous, nationally recognized standards. School psychologists who hold the NCSP demonstrate their commitment to the highest levels of professionalism, ethical practice, and continuing professional development.
- Social Skills Instruction focuses on teaching students effective communication, problem-solving, coping, and anger-management skills.
- All students have access to sensory and exercise activities, Cool Down Tool Boxes, social stories, visual supports, and quiet spaces to help regulate emotions, calm if upset, and re-energize or regain focus for educational activities.
- The Recreational Therapy Program offers a variety of recreational and educational experiences focusing on the development of life skills including problem-solving, positive social skills, communication and cooperation within a team.
All staff are certified in crisis management techniques. The primary goal is to work with students to prevent crisis situations. If a student’s behavior does escalate to crisis level our staff work as a team to quickly and safely de-escalate the situation and calm the student.
- Therapeutic Day Treatment services are offered by Hampton Newport News Community Services Board to address the unique needs of eligible, identified students. Services may include individual or group counseling, crisis intervention and mediation, and referral to other community services as needed.