Serving the local community since 1966
- New Horizons Regional Education Center was created in 1965 as Virginia Peninsula Vocational Technical Education Centers at the renovated Copeland Park Elementary School in Hampton, Virginia.
- In 1966, New Horizons began to serve the adult population with continuing education classes and apprenticeship-related instruction. These classes were offered in the evening and on weekends. The adult training program was initially known as New Horizons Adult Education Center.
- In 1978, the Woodside Lane Campus in Newport News was built as a second campus to reach the Upper Peninsula population.
- In 2006, the name of the adult training program was changed to the Center for Apprenticeship and Adult Training.
- Currently, Apprenticeship and Adult Training classes are held at both the Hampton and Newport News campuses, as well as onsite throughout the Greater Hampton Roads area.