Registration is now open!
Dedicated to Developing Academic and Leadership Talent in Science, Math and Scientific Research
Welcome to the Governor’s School for Science & Technology homepage! In keeping with our 22 year history of providing a distinguished science curriculum to the region’s gifted high school students, the Governor’s School provides a cohesive, innovative science and mathematics program which:
- Embraces quality programming standards for gifted students recommended by the Virginia Department of Education and the National Association for Gifted Children,
- Prepares students for acceptance into top universities
- Provides a cohesive sequence of courses in science, research, and mathematics
- Provides opportunities for social peer interaction, as well as career and college guidance
- Provides leadership education and opportunities throughout the program
The Purpose of the GSST is to provide gifted high school students academic opportunities beyond those normally available in their home schools.
Unique Benefits of GSST
- GSST focuses on best practices in the field of gifted education. GSST stresses non-traditional teaching and learning techniques. i.e. small-group instruction, hands-on-experiences, research, field studies — all of these best practices are major elements in the GSST instructional design.
- GSST provides challenging academic college courses as well as chances to participate in real world opportunities.
- GSST students have an opportunity to earn up to 40 dual enrollment credits over their junior and senior years.
- GSST leads students to develop their individual motivations, skills and interests.
- GSST helps students to understand the knowledge and qualifications required for advanced positions and professional occupations so that they can make appropriate decisions and set aspirational goals.
- GSST students are introduced to the process of science, research methodology and ethical considerations, needed for objectivity and peer review, as well as skills in communicating scientific findings.
- GSST students are exposed to vast opportunities associated with research and development.
- GSST students select, design, and conduct a research project under the direction of a mentor. Students are expected to complete relevant projects of high quality. Students present their work at science consortia and create formal written research publications.
- GSST Graduates receive millions in scholarships and grant each year to attend the top-tier colleges and universities.
- GSST Graduates attend the most prestigious colleges in the nation, including the Ivy League schools, U.S. service academies and many of the top engineering schools.
GSST is one of nineteen Academic-Year Governor’s Schools (AYGS) in the state of Virginia that provide students w/acceleration & exploration in areas ranging from the arts, to government, international studies, & science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).Academic-Year Governor’s Schools (AYGS)