College Planning

Dual Enrollment Earning College Credits

Dual Enrollment Program & Courses: Through agreements with local institutions of higher learning, certain high school courses taught at CTEC may be taken for college credit as well as for high school credit. Students who choose to take a course for dual enrollment receive college credit as well as high school credit for successful completion of the course.

Career Specialist

The fundamental purpose of the VCCS Career Coach Program is to empower students to make informed decisions about their career and educational plans and to prepare students for success in postsecondary education and training. Virginia Community Colleges Career Coaches are community college employees based in local high schools who serve students most in need of career planning services. Examples of services provided by the Career Coach include:

  • Assist students in creating, reviewing, and revising written academic and career plans
    Develop strategies to implement academic and career plans
  • Provide career exploration services through online career assessments, group activities, and/or individual coaching
  • Coordinate activities which give students the opportunity to learn more about specific career clusters
  • Assist students in the post-secondary education planning process
  • Connect students to early college programs such as Tech Prep, Dual-Enrollment, technical schools, and VPCC coaching services.

School Divisions

The Career and Technical Education Center (CTEC) was founded in 1985 and has provided career and technical education services to Virginia Peninsula high school students for over 40 years. Students are drawn from 21 high schools in six school divisions (Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, Williamsburg-James City County, York County, and Gloucester County) and students spend approximately half of their school day at CTEC. In addition to specialized career and technical training, students work to obtain an industry certification to prepare them for business/industry and college or post-secondary education.

If you require more information from a specific school system please click the link below.